JOSHUA GOH (吳恩賜)ORCID Follow
OON SOO(OON SOO)
|Profile 2017-01-23 21:59:18|
1.University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Fall 2005-Summer 2009), Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology.
2.National University of Singapore (2002), Bachelor of Social Science with Honors (2nd Upper) in Psychology.
3.University of Texas at Austin (Fall 1999), exchange program, majored in Psychology and Linguistics.
4.National University of Singapore (1998-2001), majored in Psychology and English Language, minored in Philosophy, Bachelor of Social Sciences 2001.
|Career and Experience||
Assistant professor at National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Graduate Institute of Brain and Mind Sciences (2012-).
1.Post-doctoral visiting research fellow at the National Institute on Aging (2010-2012), Supervised by Susan Resnick.
2.Post-doctoral research associate at the Center for Vital Longevity, University of Texas at Dallas (2009-2010), Supervised by Denise C. Park.
3.Post-doctoral research associate at the Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2009-2010), Supervised by Bradley P. Sutton.
4.Graduate teaching assistant, Psychology Department, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Fall, 2008).
5.Graduate research assistant, Productive Aging Lab, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2005-2009).
6.Research coordinator at Singapore General Hospital, Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory (2001-2005).
7.Part-time research coordinator at Singapore General Hospital, Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory (2001).
8.Part-time research assistant at NUS Department of Geography (2000).
9.Part-time autistic therapy assistant at NUS Department of Psychology (1999).
|Research field||Cognitive neuroscience, aging, culture, decision-making, brain imaging.|
1.Taiwan National Science Council Recruiting Outstanding and Excellent Scholars Award, NSC 101-3114-C-002-103-ES, 2012 - 2015.
2.National Institutes of Health, USA, Visiting Fellowship Award, 2010-2012.
3.Teaching Grant for Course on fMRI Data Analysis, Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación, Spain, 2010.
4.Incomplete List of Teachers Listed as Excellent by their Students, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, Fall 2008.
5.Department Travel Grant, Psychology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, Fall 2008.
6.Summer Institute in Cognitive Neuroscience, Travel Award, Dartmouth (2005).
7.Talent Development Program (1998-2002), National University of Singapore.
Research Outline 2014-10-16 16:07:20
Josh obtained his Doctoral degree in Psychology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. In his graduate research, he investigated how aging brain biology and culture-related life experiences are associated with object, scene, and object-scene binding neural activity during perceptual processing in young and older Westerners and East Asians. He then further did his postdoctoral fellowship with the Laboratory of Behavioral Neuroscience in the National Institute on Aging, Intramural Research Program, USA. There, he continued his work on age-related effects on the brain and mind with the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging (BLSA), investigating individual differences in age-related changes in executive processing and the corresponding structural and functional neural correlates, as well as initiating studies on value-based decision-making in older adults.
Josh is now the Principal Investigator of the Brain and Mind Laboratory at the Graduate Institute of Brain and Mind Sciences, National Taiwan University. He continues to work on better understanding of the human brain and mind, and how they are affected by biological and experiential factors. Specifically, his interests include the cognitive neuroscience of aging, individual differences and cross-cultural neuroscience, and decision-making.
Publications 35 2017-01-23 21:56:47
Ordered by publish date
- Distinct and overlapping brain areas engaged during value-based, mathematical, and emotional decision processing Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 2016 | journal-article vol.10 Scopus: 0 Web of Science: 0 Impact Factor: 3.209
- Frontal, Striatal, and Medial Temporal Sensitivity to Value Distinguishes Risk-Taking from Risk-Aversive Older Adults during Decision Making The Journal of Neuroscience 2016 -12 | journal-article vol.36,no.49,page.12498--12509 Scopus: 1 Web of Science: 1 Impact Factor: 5.988
- Frontal, striatal, and medial temporal sensitivity to value distinguishes risk-taking from risk-aversive older adults during decision making Journal of Neuroscience 2016 | journal-article vol.36,no.49,page.12498-12509 Scopus: 1 Web of Science: 1 Impact Factor: 5.988
- Greater cortical thinning in normal older adults predicts later cognitive impairment Neurobiology of Aging 2015 | journal-article vol.36,no.2,page.903-908 Scopus: 12 Web of Science: 13 Impact Factor: 5.117
- Region of interest correction factors improve reliability of diffusion imaging measures within and across scanners and field strengths NeuroImage 2015 | journal-article vol.119,page.406-416 Scopus: 4 Web of Science: 3 Impact Factor: 5.835
- Voxelwise relationships between distribution volume ratio and cerebral blood flow: Implications for analysis of b-amyloid images Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2015 | journal-article vol.56,no.7,page.1042-1047 Scopus: 2 Web of Science: 1 Impact Factor: 6.646
- Association of hearing impairment with brain volume changes in older adults NeuroImage 2014 | journal-article vol.90,page.84-92 Scopus: 57 Web of Science: 46 Impact Factor: 5.835
- The effect of performance-based incentive contracts on system 1 and system 2 processing in affective decision contexts: FMRI and behavioral evidence Accounting Review 2014 | journal-article vol.89,no.6,page.1979-2010 Scopus: 9 Web of Science: 6 Impact Factor: 2.304
- Changes in brain function occur years before the onset of cognitive impairment Journal of Neuroscience 2013 | journal-article vol.33,no.46,page.18008-18014 Scopus: 13 Web of Science: 15 Impact Factor: 5.988
- Culture-related differences in default network activity during visuo-spatial judgments Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 2013 | journal-article vol.8,no.2,page.134-142 Scopus: 8 Web of Science: 9 Impact Factor: 3.937
- Erratum to Refining Concepts and Uncovering Biological Mechanisms for Cultural Neuroscience (Psychological Inquiry, 24, 1 (31-36)) Psychological Inquiry 2013 | journal-article vol.24,no.2 Scopus: 0 Web of Science: 0 Impact Factor: 16.455
- Frontal function and executive processing in older adults: Process and region specific age-related longitudinal functional changes NeuroImage 2013 | journal-article vol.69,page.43-50 Scopus: 12 Web of Science: 11 Impact Factor: 5.835
- Imaging-based biomarkers of cognitive performance in older adults constructed via high-dimensional pattern regression applied to MRI and PET PLoS ONE 2013 | journal-article vol.8,no.12 Scopus: 3 Web of Science: 3 Impact Factor: 2.806
- Neural correlates of conceptual object priming in young and older adults: An event-related functional magnetic resonance imaging study Neurobiology of Aging 2013 | journal-article vol.34,no.4,page.1254-1264 Scopus: 21 Web of Science: 16 Impact Factor: 5.117
- Refining Concepts and Uncovering Biological Mechanisms for Cultural Neuroscience Psychological Inquiry 2013 | journal-article vol.24,no.1,page.31-36 Scopus: 1 Web of Science: 2 Impact Factor: 16.455
- Both left and right posterior parietal activations contribute to compensatory processes in normal aging Neuropsychologia 2012 | journal-article vol.50,no.1,page.55-66 Scopus: 30 Web of Science: 27 Impact Factor: 3.197
- Cerebrospinal fluid Aβ and tau level fluctuation in an older clinical cohort Archives of Neurology 2012 | journal-article vol.69,no.2,page.246-250 Scopus: 32
- Differential trajectories of age-related changes in components of executive and memory processes Psychology and Aging 2012 | journal-article vol.27,no.3,page.707-719 Scopus: 32 Web of Science: 30 Impact Factor: 2.812
- Brain structure in young and old east asians and westerners: Comparisons of structural volume and cortical thickness Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 2011 | journal-article vol.23,no.5,page.1065-1079 Scopus: 44 Web of Science: 38 Impact Factor: 3.108
- Functional dedifferentiation and altered connectivity in older adults: Neural accounts of cognitive aging Aging and Disease 2011 | journal-article vol.2,no.1,page.30-48 Scopus: 65
- Sustained happiness? Lack of repetition suppression in right-ventral visual cortex for happy faces Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 2011 | journal-article vol.6,no.4,page.434-441 Scopus: 10 Web of Science: 10 Impact Factor: 3.937
- Cultural differences in the lateral occipital complex while viewing incongruent scenes Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 2010 | journal-article vol.5,no.2-3,page.236-241 Scopus: 29 Web of Science: 22 Impact Factor: 3.937
- Culture differences in neural processing of faces and houses in the ventral visual cortex Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 2010 | journal-article vol.5,no.2-3,page.227-235 Scopus: 30 Web of Science: 25 Impact Factor: 3.937
- Reduced neural selectivity increases fMRI adaptation with age during face discrimination NeuroImage 2010 | journal-article vol.51,no.1,page.336-344 Scopus: 61 Web of Science: 59 Impact Factor: 5.835
- Culture modulates eye-movements to visual novelty PLoS ONE 2009 | journal-article vol.4,no.12 Scopus: 30
- Culture sculpts the perceptual brain Progress in Brain Research 2009 | book vol.178,no.C,page.95-111 Scopus: 25 Web of Science: 20 Impact Factor: 2.68
- Neuroplasticity and cognitive aging: The scaffolding theory of aging and cognition Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience 2009 | journal-article vol.27,no.5,page.391-403 Scopus: 76 Web of Science: 59 Impact Factor: 2.526
- Investigation and validation of intersite fMRI studies using the same imaging hardware Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2008 | journal-article vol.28,no.1,page.21-28 Scopus: 26 Web of Science: 26 Impact Factor: 3.083
- Age and culture modulate object processing and object-scene binding in the ventral visual area Cognitive, Affective and Behavioral Neuroscience 2007 | journal-article vol.7,no.1,page.44-52 Scopus: 78 Web of Science: 74 Impact Factor: 3.263
- Contextual interference in recognition memory with age NeuroImage 2007 | journal-article vol.35,no.3,page.1338-1347 Scopus: 33 Web of Science: 31 Impact Factor: 5.835
- Age-related changes in object processing and contextual binding revealed using fMR adaptation Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 2006 | journal-article vol.18,no.4,page.495-507 Scopus: 84 Web of Science: 82 Impact Factor: 3.108
- Cortical areas involved in object, background, and object-background processing revealed with functional magnetic resonance adaptation Journal of Neuroscience 2004 | journal-article vol.24,no.45,page.10223-10228 Scopus: 92 Web of Science: 85 Impact Factor: 5.988
- Recognition memory for studied words is determined by cortical activation differences at encoding but not during retrieval NeuroImage 2004 | journal-article vol.22,no.4,page.1456-1465 Scopus: 16 Web of Science: 15 Impact Factor: 5.835
- Word frequency and subsequent memory effects studied using event-related fMRI NeuroImage 2003 | journal-article vol.20,no.2,page.1042-1051 Scopus: 40 Web of Science: 37 Impact Factor: 5.835
- Frequency of concrete words modulates prefrontal activation during semantic judgments NeuroImage 2002 | journal-article vol.16,no.1,page.259-268 Scopus: 61 Web of Science: 60 Impact Factor: 5.835