SZE-KWAN LIN (林思洸)ORCID Follow
|Profile 2017-09-08 22:07:52|
|Career and Experience||
Research Outline 2017-09-08 22:13:09一、Research Topic 1
From the viewpoint of metabolomics, the pathogenesis and new therapeutic strategies for three diseases: rheumatoid arthritis (RA), oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC), and bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) are investigated.
1. We hypothesize that the three diseases are related to metabolic abnormalities in mitochondria. Multiple intermediate molecules in the metabolic reactions are involved in their pathogenic processes.
2. Most of our interested molecules are associated with mitochondrial metabolism, including those participating in glutaminolysis (eg. glutaminase), electron transportation chain (eg. Cytochrome C and P66), and fatty acids and cholesterol/oxysterol. Our researches focus on the expression of these intermediate molecules and their post-translation modifications, identification and quantitative/qualitative analysis of their constitutional isomers. Studies of this kind require techniques of bioinformatics/biomedical engineering, mass spectrometer, and protein film voltammetry. Establishment of cooperative relationships with other laboratories on these topics is our major task in recent years.
3. In vitro/in vivo correlation:
A. Establishment of disease animal models: The functional roles of particular genes are evaluated through induction of the three diseases in wild-type and gene knockout mice.
B. Gene therapy: The influences of overexpression of particular genes to the disease processes are observed after local gene delivery to the diseased sites in animal models.
C. To assess the effects of therapy, image analyses (micro-PET, micro-MRI, micro-CT and x-ray analyses by courtesy of Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica) and histopathological studies are performed after animal sacrifice.
D. Orthopedic surgeons, pathologists and oral surgeons are comprised in our research team. Results of our in vitro and in vivo experiments are correlated with findings in clinical specimens of RA, OSCC and BRONJ. Clinical parameters and experimental data are compared.
E.By collaborating with Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, small molecule agonists or antagonists capable of modulating disease-related metabolic processes are developed to realize the therapeutic potential of our study results.
二、Research Topic 2
To develop a new biomembrane employed in guided bone regeneration, focusing on the enhancement of its stimulatory function on tissue regeneration and the improvement of material stiffness.
1. Our primary goal is to develop a biomembrane capable of recruiting stem cells to accomplish tissue regeneration.
2. Select genes that are pivotal to the chemotaxis of mesenchymal stem cells and their differentiation toward osteoblasts and fibroblasts. Genes are constructed in expression plasmids for the use in gene therapy. Our current gene of interest is stromal cell-derived factor (SDF)-1.
3. SDF-1 expression plasmid is packed with nanoparticles or polyethylenimine (PEI) to facilitate its transfection into target cells. The plasmid/carrier ratio most efficient for transfection is determined. The nanoparticle- or PEI-coated SDF-1 expression plasmid is tested in animal models to assess its stimulatory ability for bone and connective tissue regeneration.
4. Design a new biomembrane with enhanced rigidity to facilitate molding during bone augmentation procedures. The membrane is impregnated with nanoparticle- or PEI-coated SDF-1 plasmid. In addition to serving its traditional role as a tissue barrier, the new membrane has a functional capacity to promote the healing of gingiva and soft tissues and induce bone regeneration. Clinical values of the barrier membrane in guided bone regeneration can thus be enhanced.
5. The new biomembrane is developed in collaboration with the Department of Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University. Construction of SDF-1 expression plasmid is accomplished and the experiment is now at the stage of determination of optimal parameters for PEI coating of plasmid.
Publications 45 2014-11-05 13:47:40
Ordered by publish date
- CCN2 inhibits lung cancer metastasis through promoting DAPK-dependent anoikis and inducing EGFR degradation Cell Death and Differentiation 2013 | journal-article vol.20,no.3,page.443-455 Scopus: 12 Web of Science: 13 Impact Factor: 8.339
- Erratum: Connective tissue growth factor modulates oral squamous cell carcinoma invasion by activating a miR-504/FOXP1 signalling (Oncogene (2012) 31 (2401-2411) DOI: 10.1038/onc.2011.423) Oncogene 2013 | journal-article vol.32,no.5 Scopus: 0 Web of Science: 0 Impact Factor: 7.519
- Signaling network of Oncostatin M pathway Journal of Cell Communication and Signaling 2013 | journal-article vol.7,no.2,page.103-108 Scopus: 10 Web of Science: 8 Impact Factor: 2.705
- Simvastatin inhibits cysteine-rich protein 61 expression in rheumatoid arthritis synovial fibroblasts through the regulation of sirtuin-1/FoxO3a signaling Arthritis and Rheumatism 2013 | journal-article vol.65,no.3,page.639-649 Scopus: 21 Web of Science: 22 Impact Factor: 2017 N/A
- Simvastatin suppresses osteoblastic expression of cyr61 and progression of apical periodontitis through enhancement of the transcription factor forkhead/winged helix box protein O3a Journal of Endodontics 2013 | journal-article vol.39,no.5,page.619-625 Scopus: 7 Web of Science: 7 Impact Factor: 2.807
- Connective tissue growth factor modulates oral squamous cell carcinoma invasion by activating a miR-504/FOXP1 signalling Oncogene 2012 | journal-article vol.31,no.19,page.2401-2411 Scopus: 47 Web of Science: 41 Impact Factor: 7.519
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate diminishes cytokine-stimulated Cyr61 expression in human osteoblastic cells: A therapeutic potential for arthritis Rheumatology (United Kingdom) 2012 | journal-article vol.51,no.11,page.1953-1965 Scopus: 6 Web of Science: 3 Impact Factor: 4.818
- Simvastatin alleviates the progression of periapical lesions by modulating autophagy and apoptosis in osteoblasts Journal of Endodontics 2012 | journal-article vol.38,no.6,page.757-763 Scopus: 24 Web of Science: 22 Impact Factor: 2.807
- Highly efficient release of lovastatin from poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) nanoparticles enhances bone repair in rats Journal of Orthopaedic Research 2011 | journal-article vol.29,no.10,page.1504-1510 Scopus: 22 Web of Science: 19 Impact Factor: 2.692
- Hypoxia induces cysteine-rich 61, vascular endothelial growth factor, and interleukin-8 expressions in human nasal polyp fibroblasts: An implication of neutrophils in the pathogenesis of nasal polyposis American Journal of Rhinology and Allergy 2011 | journal-article vol.25,no.1,page.15-18 Scopus: 12 Web of Science: 13 Impact Factor: 1.955
- Simvastatin inhibits cytokine-stimulated Cyr61 expression in osteoblastic cells a therapeutic benefit for arthritis Arthritis and Rheumatism 2011 | journal-article vol.63,no.4,page.1010-1020 Scopus: 19 Web of Science: 18 Impact Factor: 2017 N/A
- Major histocompatibility complex class II transactivator inhibits cysteine-rich 61 expression in osteoblastic cells and its implication in the pathogenesis of periapical lesions Journal of Endodontics 2010 | journal-article vol.36,no.6,page.1021-1025 Scopus: 4 Web of Science: 4 Impact Factor: 2.807
- An Extract of Green Tea, Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate, Reduces Periapical Lesions by Inhibiting Cysteine-rich 61 Expression in Osteoblasts Journal of Endodontics 2009 | journal-article vol.35,no.2,page.206-211 Scopus: 24 Web of Science: 17 Impact Factor: 2.807
- Oncostatin M-induced CCL2 transcription in osteoblastic cells is mediated by multiple levels of STAT-1 and STAT-3 signaling: An implication for the pathogenesis of arthritis Arthritis and Rheumatism 2009 | journal-article vol.60,no.5,page.1451-1462 Scopus: 23 Web of Science: 22 Impact Factor: 2017 N/A
- Simvastatin as a Novel Strategy To Alleviate Periapical Lesions Journal of Endodontics 2009 | journal-article vol.35,no.5,page.657-662 Scopus: 23 Web of Science: 21 Impact Factor: 2.807
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate diminishes CCL2 expression in human osteoblastic cells via up-regulation of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt/Raf-1 interaction: A potential therapeutic benefit for arthritis Arthritis and Rheumatism 2008 | journal-article vol.58,no.10,page.3145-3156 Scopus: 41 Web of Science: 38 Impact Factor: 2017 N/A
- Hypoxia-stimulated vascular endothelial growth factor production in human nasal polyp fibroblasts: Effect of epigallocatechin-3-gallate on hypoxia-inducible factor-1α synthesis Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2008 | journal-article vol.134,no.5,page.522-527 Scopus: 23 Web of Science: 22 Impact Factor: 2017 N/A
- Establishment and characterization of a tumorigenic cell line from areca quid and tobacco smoke-associated buccal carcinoma Oral Oncology 2007 | journal-article vol.43,no.7,page.639-647 Scopus: 16 Web of Science: 16 Impact Factor: 4.794
- Gingival Squamous Cell Carcinoma Mimicking a Dentoalveolar Abscess: Report of a Case Journal of Endodontics 2007 | journal-article vol.33,no.2,page.177-180 Scopus: 16 Web of Science: 11 Impact Factor: 2.807
- Nitric oxide promotes the progression of periapical lesion via inducing macrophage and osteoblast apoptosis Oral Microbiology and Immunology 2007 | journal-article vol.22,no.1,page.24-29 Scopus: 24 Web of Science: 22 Impact Factor: 2017 N/A
- Tumor necrosis factor-α stimulates the expression of C-C chemokine ligand 2 gene in fibroblasts from the human nasal polyp through the pathways of mitogen-activated protein kinase American Journal of Rhinology 2007 | journal-article vol.21,no.2,page.251-255 Scopus: 11 Web of Science: 13 Impact Factor: 2017 N/A
- C-C chemokine ligand 2 gene expression in nasal polyp fibroblasts: Possible implication in the pathogenesis of nasal polyposis Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology 2005 | journal-article vol.114,no.11,page.879-885
- Norcantharidin-induced apoptosis in oral cancer cells is associated with an increase of proapoptotic to antiapoptotic protein ratio Cancer Letters 2005 | journal-article vol.217,no.1,page.43-52 Scopus: 82 Web of Science: 76 Impact Factor: 6.375
- MEK/ERK and Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription Signaling Pathways Modulate Oncostatin M-Stimulated CCL2 Expression in Human Osteoblasts Through a Common Transcription Factor Arthritis and Rheumatism 2004 | journal-article vol.50,no.3,page.785-793 Scopus: 36 Web of Science: 32 Impact Factor: 2017 N/A
- The role of lipopolysaccharide in infectious bone resorption of periapical lesion Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine 2004 | journal-article vol.33,no.3,page.162-169 Scopus: 68 Web of Science: 65 Impact Factor: 2.043
- Comparisons of norcantharidin cytotoxic effects on oral cancer cells and normal buccal keratinocytes Oral Oncology 2003 | journal-article vol.39,no.1,page.19-26 Scopus: 47 Web of Science: 42 Impact Factor: 4.794
- Nitric oxide promotes infectious bone resorption by enhancing cytokine-stimulated interstitial collagenase synthesis in osteoblasts Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2003 | journal-article vol.18,no.1,page.39-46 Scopus: 35 Web of Science: 33 Impact Factor: 6.284
- Differential regulation of interleukin-6 and inducible cyclooxygenase gene expression by cytokines through prostaglandin-dependent and -independent mechanisms in human dental pulp fibroblasts Journal of Endodontics 2002 | journal-article vol.28,no.3,page.197-201 Scopus: 21 Web of Science: 21 Impact Factor: 2.807
- Inducible cyclooxygenase and interleukin 6 gene expressions in nasal polyp fibroblasts: Possible implication in the pathogenesis of nasal polyposis Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2002 | journal-article vol.128,no.8,page.945-951
- Sequential expressions of MMP-1, TIMP-1, IL-6, and COX-2 genes in induced periapical lesions in rats. European journal of oral sciences 2002 | journal-article vol.110,no.3,page.246-253
- Induction of dental pulp fibroblast matrix metalloproteinase-1 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 gene expression by interleukin-1alpha and tumor necrosis factor-alpha through a prostaglandin-dependent pathway. Journal of Endodontics 2001 | journal-article vol.27,no.3,page.185-189
- Matrix metalloproteinase-1 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 gene expressions and their differential regulation by proinflammatory cytokines and prostaglandin in nasal polyp fibroblasts Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology 2001 | journal-article vol.110,no.12,page.1129-1136
- A comparison of the morphological changes after Nd-YAG and CO2 laser irradiation of dentin surfaces Journal of Endodontics 2000 | journal-article vol.26,no.8,page.450-453
- Expression of p16(INK4A) induces dominant suppression of glioblastoma growth in situ through necrosis and cell cycle arrest Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2000 | journal-article vol.269,no.3,page.718-725 Scopus: 12 Web of Science: 11 Impact Factor: 2.466
- Immunolocalization of macrophages and transforming growth factor-β1 in induced rat periapical lesions Journal of Endodontics 2000 | journal-article vol.26,no.6,page.335-340
- Norcantharidin-Induced Post-G2/M Apoptosis is Dependent on Wild-Type p53 Gene Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 2000 | journal-article vol.276,no.1,page.278-285 Scopus: 48 Web of Science: 44 Impact Factor: 2.466
- Areca nut extract inhibits the growth, attachment, and matrix protein synthesis of cultured human gingival fibroblasts Journal of Periodontology 1998 | journal-article vol.69,no.10,page.1092-1097
- Cytotoxicity of sodium fluoride on human oral mucosal fibroblasts and its mechanisms Cell Biology and Toxicology 1998 | journal-article vol.14,no.6,page.383-389 Scopus: 62 Web of Science: 58 Impact Factor: 2.333
- Oral manifestations of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients in Taiwan Journal of the Formosan Medical Association 1998 | journal-article vol.97,no.9,page.600-605
- Immunolocalization of interstitial collagenase (MMP-1) and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 (TIMP-1) in radicular cysts Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine 1997 | journal-article vol.26,no.10,page.458-463
- Comparison of calcium phosphate cement mixture and pure calcium hydroxide as direct pulp-capping agents Journal of the Formosan Medical Association 1996 | journal-article vol.95,no.7,page.545-550
- Secondary dentin deposition in dens evaginatus: report of a case. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association = Taiwan yi zhi 1995 | journal-article vol.94,no.10,page.615-618
- Establishment of dental pulp hyperemia in an animal experiment model Journal of the Formosan Medical Association = Taiwan yi zhi 1993 | journal-article vol.92 Suppl 1
- Hyaline ring granuloma: a case report with histochemical and polarized microscopic studies. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association = Taiwan yi zhi 1993 | journal-article vol.92,no.11,page.1001-1003
- Collagen gene expression in human dental pulp cell cultures Archives of Oral Biology 1992 | journal-article vol.37,no.11,page.945-952
Projects 2 2015-01-21 14:40:17
Ordered by project period
Sirtuin 5 Alleviates Periapical Lesion Progression via Modulating Metabolism Reprogramming in Human Osteoblastic Cells---Mechanisms and Therapeutic Potential for Inflammatory Bone Resorption (Sirtuin 5 可經由調控骨細胞的代謝重整來抑制根尖病變擴展---作用機轉探討及作為發炎性骨吸收治療方針的可能性)Project Number : NSC102-2314-B002-053 PI : SZE-KWAN LIN (林思洸) Co-PI : Funding IC : 行政院國家科學委員會 Project Period : 10208~10307
Statin Alleviates Rheumatoid Arthritis Progression through Diminishing Inflammation or Oxidative Stress-Induced Cyr61 Synthesis (Statin 可以抑制發炎及Oxidative Stress的刺激產物Cyr61來緩解關節炎進展)Project Number : NSC99-2314-B002-129-MY3 PI : SZE-KWAN LIN (林思洸) Co-PI : Funding IC : 行政院國家科學委員會 Project Period : 10108~10207